Regardless of the profession to which you dedicate yourself, there are knowledge or “hard skills” that are essential to have, not only because they help you to highlight your professional profile, but also because they can be useful at any time in life. Although it may seem strange, knowing how to stabilize a video in After Effects is one of them; you doubt it? Thanks to the arrival of smartphones, a person can record a video without having to be a professional photographer and use it as they want. Because the opportunities to take a good video present themselves at any time and do not wait, it is almost impossible to be able to record them without evidence of movement, therefore, knowing how to correct this in a video editing program can get you off the hook. troubles. Do you see how useful it can be?
And it is that actually today videos have become the means of communication that most consume and prefer Internet users to find out about something, as the figures show it. According to statistics from Google Insights, for this year online video consumption is expected to correspond to 80% of all web traffic, and by 2020 the figure will increase to 85% of total user traffic. An important piece of information to communicate everything through videos!
A very practical and easy-to-use tool to take advantage of this type of audiovisual format is After Effects since it allows you to compose videos and develop graphic designs of movements and animations to measure and with the specifications that you require, no matter how complex it may seem. . Thus, this application owned by the world’s leading graphic design software suite, Adobe, allows correcting technical recording errors such as the destabilization of a video, a failure that is sometimes only seen at the time of post-production. Where is this?
Stabilizing a video is nothing more than making sure that the movements caused in the recording of it are not reflected and that it can be viewed perfectly, without damaging or losing its quality. Is serious? Yes! Correcting these errors is possible to do it easily and quickly. Here is the step by step of how to do it!
- To stabilize a video, the first thing you should do is go to Adobe After Effects and start a new project. Once there, go to the “Projects” tab to import the video to which you want to carry out the process.
- In the “Presets” browser located at the bottom right, write “Warp Stabilizer VFX”, select it and drag it to the composition.
- After Effects will automatically start stabilization by doing a two-step analysis. This process will take according to the duration of the original video. This means that the longer it lasts, the longer the wait will be.
- While performing the “Analyzing in the background” procedure, the stabilization can be adjusted according to various options. For example, in the “Advanced” tab select “Detailed Analysis” or “Detailed analysis” and beautiful in the black box that is right next to it, to ensure that the stabilization is deeper.
- In the “Rolling Schutter Ripple” option, change the status from “Automatic Reduction” to “Enhanced Reduction”, which means “Enhanced Reduction”.
- After this, wait for the process to finish so that you can see the results that you can obtain with all the adjustments made.
- Once the video is finished processing, that is, when the “Analyzing in the background” sign has disappeared from the screen, hit “Play” and see how the problem was solved.
- If at any time you want to increase or decrease the stabilization of the video, go to “Stabilization” and change the percentage of this according to what you need. Remember that the more the smoothness is decreased, the more the movement that the video had at the beginning will be noticed, which is why you should try to make a balance in terms of percentage.
- To achieve a stabilizing effect as similar to a video shot made with a tripod, that is, it does not have any type of movement, in “Result” you can try the “No Motion” option, that is, “No Movement” and well achieve this impression.
- If you want to compare the original video with the one that includes the stabilization effect, just go to the upper left, exactly to the option “Warp Stabilizer VFX” and click on “fx”. Immediately the video will be shown with all the movements, as it was recorded, and by pressing again on it you will see the changes that were made.
Finally, it is important to note that adding the After Effects stabilizer effect to a video increases its size a bit in terms of time. Although it is not something that is noticed exponentially, you must be aware that this happens before recording it. This can be noticed by analyzing the time rule before and after stabilization.
While it is true that video stabilization will not be equally effective with everyone, since this depends on the complexity of your movements, this After Effects tool is undoubtedly quite useful and will prevent you from spending money sending to correct errors editing that you can do yourself.
Do you want to learn how to make visual effects like an expert?
With no prior knowledge required, you can master the techniques of editing and handling moving images, audio, and much more with the After Effects course from Next U. What do you get in this course? In addition to learning how to create the best visual effects for your videos, you acquire the following skills:
- Give movement and effect to your ideas.
- Stabilize images and manipulate the speed curve of videos.
- Mastering the techniques and basic concepts of graphic compositions in motion.
- Create advertising compositions for Facebook with movement, shapes, and texts.
- Knowing how to use the appropriate tools to apply effects and corrections that add realism to your projects.
- Understand and use Adobe After Effects layered composition for dimension creation.