Organizations have understood over time that human talent is their main asset and that all actions that seek its growth will translate into a benefit for the company. Along this path, coaching has become an ally to prepare people and reach their full potential.
Although initially it was understood only as an executive training process over time they have developed different approaches to content and methodologies that can be applied in the hands of a trainer ( coach ) or as a process Autocoaching.
If you are interested in learning more, either because you want to improve some areas of your personal life; To undertake that business that you have been in the pipeline for a long time, or to contribute to the growth of your organization, it is important that you take into account all the benefits of coaching, according to its segmentation.
HOW IS COACHING DIVIDED ACCORDING TO THE TYPE OF CONTENT?
It can be divided into three areas from the point of view of the knowledge and skills that it seeks to develop, personal coaching, organizational coaching, and sports coaching.
- Personal coaching, also called life coaching, is a personalized process that focuses on fostering the abilities of the human being so that you face your day-to-day life and overcome the fears or mental limits that prevent you from achieving your dreams.
The lecturer Pedro Amador, author of books such as ‘Autocoaching to wake up’, recommends 12 coaching conversations to grow as people.
For the development of these talks between the coach and the client, he suggests that 12 wishes be raised such as I want to know me better; I want to train in something concrete; I want to regain faith; I want to improve my self-esteem regarding my physical appearance, among others.
- Organizational coaching, which is focused on fostering pro-business skills. This allows you to develop two workouts:
- The first is business coaching. This approach will help you with the professional skills and values to strengthen the commitment to the company, the employee’s satisfaction with their environment, and the sense of belonging to the well-being of the company.
As an entrepreneur, this program could be very useful because a good training process for human talent will result in better job performance and optimization of the internal processes of your organization.
The Edenred firm recommends seven keys that should govern business coaching, based on the book Coaching, Mentoring, and Managing :
- There must be clarity in the communication between the coach and the client.
- It is important the feedback or depth exchange of information.
- The coach must generate empathy in his audience.
- There must be trust between the parties to talk.
- The confidentiality of the information is vital.
- Coach’s tenacity to adapt to circumstances.
- Constant support from the coach to his client.
According to the University of Barcelona, some of the benefits of applying it are:
- Increase the effectiveness of the strategy.
- Improve management.
- It updates you on the advances of the market and technology from the hand of experts.
- It allows to better project the business.
- The second is executive coaching. If you are a senior executive in your company, this approach is ideal for you because it targets the people who lead the administrative processes and make the most important decisions in the company. However, middle management can also be included in these processes.
The University of Barcelona recommends this training because “it is ideal to know how to manage and face high-risk situations, that is, in which large-scale elements such as the capital of an investment, a market strategy, planned financing, among others. What is sought in this case is to gain security, confidence and reaction capacity ”.
- Sports coaching: in areas such as sports, where the emotional state is vital for performance, coaching has also gained ground.
If you have already started your preparation as a coach and are interested in this area, take into account some additional knowledge that you may need, such as sports psychology, physical therapy, and health, recommended by the Futbol en Positivo portal, which adds that, although it is common that recognized former athletes become coaches, it is not a requirement.
HOW IS COACHING DIVIDED ACCORDING TO THE METHODOLOGY?
Now that you know the types of coaching according to their content, let’s see their classification according to the methodology.
- Systemic coaching: it will help you understand that the person is not an individual isolated from the world, but is part of a system in which all their decisions affect their environment.
- Coercive coaching: it will allow you to achieve transformations in people based on their emotions. For example, facing their fears until they overcome them, or promoting actions that translate into happiness.
- Ontological coaching: one of the fathers of this approach, assures that it is based on a conception of the human being, of how he constructs his reality and the world in general.
- Cognitive coaching: it will help you strengthen the processes of learning and transmission of knowledge, through the use of cognitive, receptive, expressive, memory, and thinking functions.
- Coaching with emotional intelligence: Daniel Goleman, coach in emotional intelligence, ensures that with this training you will achieve greater self-knowledge and control of your emotions.
- NLP coaching or with neurolinguistic programming: it will allow you to understand how your brain works and, in general aspects, how people behave and express their emotions under certain circumstances.
According to a survey by the International Coaching Federation (ICF, for its acronym in English), the success of these training processes is evidenced in that 96% of the companies that have ever practiced it, would do it again.
WHO CAN DEVELOP THE COURSES?
Coaching has become increasingly attractive. This has caused many people to offer “miracle courses” that will allow you to be successful in a short time or for your company to obtain the best results. Great care! Not all that glitters is gold.
In the world, there are organizations with high-quality standards that certify companies specialized in coaching or individuals who wish to become accredited as coaches.
The International Coaching Federation (ICF) is one of the most important in the world, thanks to its presence in 140 countries. In Latin America, the Federation has regional chapters in the following countries: Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile.
For the development of the courses, the ICF has established 11 basic competencies that a coaching program must fulfill. If these days you are thinking of hiring these services, take into account the points and evaluate if your provider complies with them: Establishing the bases 1. It complies with ethical guidelines and professional standards. 2. Establish the coaching agreement.
The joint creation of the relationship 3. Establishes trust and intimacy with the client. 4. Has training capacity.
Effective communication 5. Actively listen. 6. Ask powerful questions. 7. There is direct communication.
Facilitate learning and results in 8. Interpret information to help the company 9. Design learning actions 10. Plan and establish objectives 11. Manage progress and the responsibility that the client will assume.